1. I am fiscal resident in Portugal and my income is earned from abroad, should I submit a tax declaration in Portugal?
Yes. As a resident, all your worldwide income must be reported in the annual tax declaration (IRS).
2. I have not received any income in Portugal or abroad, do I need to submit a tax declaration in Portugal?
Yes, if you have international bank accounts (IBAN and Swift codes only).
3. I have NHR status approved, therefore I do not need to submit a tax declaration in Portugal. Is this correct?
Absolutely not. The fiscal obligations as a NHR or a non NHR taxpayer are the same.
4. I have NHR status approved, therefore I do not pay taxes in Portugal. Is this correct?
No. The answer to this question is quite complex, for this reason we would recommend scheduling a consultation to understand the NHR conditions and rules involved. At the end of the day, the NHR status is a great taxation benefit, nevertheless this does not mean that all your income is tax free.
5. How is the tax year calculated in Portugal?
From January to December.
6. If I am resident in Portugal for less than 183 days, do I still need to submit a tax declaration in Portugal?
Of course. The IRS declaration will then be a partial tax return, considering the residency period in Portugal during that specific year.